Jamaican Rice and Peas
Jamaican Rice and Peas and fried ripe plantain are a must with every "Sunday Lunch" in Jamaica.
But it is just as good with a steak, chops, BBQ chicken, or anything.
I always cook plenty of extra rice and peas so that I can freeze any leftovers in portion sizes in plastic bags ... I can then microwave them when I want them.
- 1 tin red peas (not peas at all .. but red kidney beans)
- 1 tin Coconut milk (or make your own Coconut Milk)
- 4 stalks Scallion chopped (Escallion, skellion, spring onion)
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 1/4 lb Salt pork, or salt beef, or bacon diced
- 2 cups Rice (white or brown as you prefer - I personally prefer brown)
- 1 or 2 Scotch Bonnet Pepper - do not break
How to Make Jamaican Rice and Peas
- Drain the liquid from the tin of kidney beans .. don't discard it. Put the beans back in the saucepan.
(If you prefer to use dry red peas rather than tinned, then put 1 1/2 cups of peas to soak in some water overnight.
day drain them, cover them with water in a large saucepan, bring to the
boil and simmer until soft ... may take up 1 1/2 hours.)
- Measure and add 4 cups of liquid to the saucepan ... including the liquid that you just drained off, and including the Coconut Milk.
- If you are using Uncle Ben's Rice, or brown rice, add an extra 1/2 cup of water.
- Add all of the other ingredients except for the rice.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (Use stock cubes instead of salt if you prefer).
- Add the 2 cups of Rice.
- Give one quick stir ... don't break the pepper.
the heat as soon as it starts to boil again, cover and simmer for 20
mins for white rice, or 40 - 45 minutes for brown rice.
- Remove the pepper and thyme.
- Fluff the Rice and Peas up with a fork and serve.
Enjoy your Jamaican Rice and Peas ... and "Give Thanks".
And ... you can spread some joy by sharing YOUR Jamaican recipes with us and with our visitors. Clicking this link will take you to a submission page for your recipes.