Ahhh...Ras Natango's Cherry and Guava Juice
by Tamika Williams
(Camrose, Montego Bay, St James, Jamaica)
Natango's Cherry and Guava Juice
Click images to enlarge
At Ahhh...Ras Natango Gallery and Garden we make fresh seasonal Juices. During the month of August Cherries and Guavas are picked fresh from the Ahhh...Ras Natango Garden, and our Cherry and Guava Juice prepared.
Either Guava or Cherry juice is made the same way, except that each juice is kept separate.
Any surplus fruit can be frozen, and over the years of making Jamaican Cherry juice I have found the cherry flavour is more pronounced when the cherries have been frozen before use.
Harvest cherries and guavas when fruits are ripe and in season. Make sure to wash, and freeze any surplus.
- 1 lb Cherries
- 3 large Guava (about 1 pound)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup sugar
- a slice of lime, 3 extra cherries and a slice of guava for garnishing
- If using frozen fruit remove from freezer half an hour before making the juice and place in a dish of water to thaw
- Place each fruit in a food processor and shred until juicy
- Remove from processor and mix juices in a large jug
- Add one quart of water stirring constantly
- Strain and squeeze Cherry and Guave mix
- Put back in jug, add the remainding 1 quart water and mix again
- Stir in 1 cup sugar until sugar has disolved
- Chill and serve
Do not forget to decorate the glass with the three cherries, slice of lime and sliver of guava.
Enjoy!!! this is an explosion of tropical fruits not to be missed FRESH!!!!!