Island Style Bread Pudding for the Lactose Intolerant
by Tamika Williams
(Ras Natango Gallery and Garden, Camrose, Jamaica)
Island Style Bread Pudding ... fresh from the oven
Click other photos to enlarge
Are you lactose intollerant? Do you love bread pudding but can not eat it because it has milk in it?
Island Style Bread Pudding to the rescue.
I am not a lover of bread pudding, because the milk flavour is too much for me. But my husband and son love it.
Today I promised to bake them a bread pudding and while gathering the ingredients I decided to make a "NO MILK" bread pudding.
I was forced to improvise and I have just eaten my first ever slice of Island Style No Milk Bread Pudding.
To the disgust of my husband and son I shall be eating more for supper.
- 5 cups stale bread ... broken into small pieces
- 1 packet coconut milk powder(50grams)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs well beaten
- 1 teaspn vanilla
- 1 teaspn veg or olive oil
- 1/2 cup rasins
- In a 2 quarts casserole dish place bread crumbs
- Make a mixture of the water and coconut milk powder and add to bread crumbs ... do not stir
- Allow to sit for five minutes
- Add sugar, beaten eggs, vanilla and oil
- Stir well making sure all new ingredients are distributed throughout the mixture
- Fold in the raisins
- heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for an hour until golden brown and knife inserted comes out dry
Serve warm with syrup of your choice.
Refridgerate when cool and serve as a cold desert with mixed fruits and/or icecream.
Ahhh Ras!!! Enjoy!!!!!!!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Jamaican Recipes.