Jamaican Dessert Recipes
Banana Fritters are quick and easy to make and are delicious served with a squeeze of lime or lemon, and a sprinkle of fine sugar preferrably Caster, or even Icing Sugar.
Or try them with a dollop of ice-cream on top ... or coconut cream, or fresh cream!!
A splash of any Orange, Rum, Brandy or Whiskey Liqueur also adds a nice touch.
Banana Pancakes are just bigger than fritters, and can be made the same way with a little extra liquid to give a thinner batter so that it spreads more easily.
We used to have Banana Fritters for dessert at least once a week growing up in the Jamaican countryside, and this is one of many good ways to use up bananas that are getting too ripe.
- 3 Bananas
- 2 teaspoons Lime or Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 tbspns Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 rounded teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated Nutmeg
- 1 Egg beaten lightly
- About 1/3 cup full cream Milk
How to Cook
- Crush bananas with a fork.
- Add lime juice, vanilla, and sugar and mix until smooth and runny.
- Add the beaten egg and mix in.
- Add flour, baking powder, and nutmeg and stir in.
- Add milk slowly while stirring until consistency is like a pancake batter.
- Heat a frying pan with some oil in it.
- When it is hot drop spoonfulls of batter into the pan.
each fritter when top starts to set and it looks like it is cooked half
way through. Should be a golden brown on both sides.
Eat ... Enjoy ... and "Give Thanks".
And ... you can spread some joy by sharing YOUR Jamaican recipes with us and with our visitors. Clicking this link will take you to a submission page for your recipe.