Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Jamaican Dessert Recipes
Pineapple Upside Down cake has been one of our family's favorite Jamaican desserts for years. It is heavenly with all the butter and sugar covering the pineapple and dripping down the sides. But beware ... not surprisingly it is fattening!!!
For the Base
- 6 oz lb butter melted
- 6 oz brown sugar
- 6 slices of pineapple ... fresh or tinned
- 8 oz plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspn baking powder
- 1 teaspn salt
- 1 teaspn grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspn cinnamon powder
- zest of 2 limes
Ingredients to be Creamed
- 6 oz brown sugar
- 8 oz butter softened
Ingredients to be Beaten
- 4 eggs beaten
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspn Vanilla
How to Make
1. For the base:
- Pour the 6 oz melted butter in to a rectangular Pyrex dish about 8" x12", or the equivelant.
- Coat the sides of the pan with butter.
- Add the 6 oz brown sugar, mix with the butter and spread evenly on the bottom of the dish.
- Place pineapple slices on top of sugar/butter mixture.
2. Cream the ingredients to be creamed in a bowl:
3. Mix all dry ingredients together in another bowl, add the ingredients you have creamed and mix together.
4. Beat the ingredients to be beaten until fluffy in another clean bowl.
you wish to make your Pineapple Upside Down Cake even lighter beat the yolks and the whites
separately, fold together, and then fold in the vanilla and lime juice.
- Mix this in with the other ingredients a little at a time to give a batter.
- Pour this batter into the cake pan covering the pineapple slices and spread evenly.
in a low to moderate oven ... around 350-375 for 30-40 mins until
cooked, and nicely brown on top. Test by sticking a knife in the center
and seeing if it comes out clean.
- When cooked remove from oven.
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Loosen around the sides with a knife.
- Put a large plate or dish over the top
- Turn quickly upside down - the cake will usually drop out on to plate.
- Give it a shake if it sticks.
- There should be enough sugar and butter so that you can see it soaking in to the top and running down the sides.
- Let it cool if for a while before serving.
Enjoy your Pineapple Upside Down Cake ... and "Give Thanks".
And ... you can spread some joy by sharing YOUR Jamaican recipes with us and with our visitors. Clicking this link will take you to a submission page for your recipe.